“Global Soul” Leads to Funky World: Tomás Doncker Fuels Funky World Remix Compilation of True Groove Artists
Dubbed the “soulful music man” by Huffington Post, no-wave pioneer Doncker dreamt up compilation that features mixes of Charlie Funk, Lael Summer
WATCH FUNKY WORLD ARTIST LAEL SUMMER’S VIDEO FOR “I NEED A MAN” HERE
CHARLIE FUNK & THE TRUE GROOVE ALL-STARS’ LIVE PERFORMANCE OF “SEXY CUTIE” HERE
(New York, NY) – Independent Music Promotions today announced the September 9 release of Funky World: A True Groove Club/Dub/Dance Compilation, a collection of mixes and remixes of some of the groundbreaking artists from the True Groove record label. Fueled by the “global soul” vision of label founder and no-wave/funk pioneer Tomás Doncker, Funky World features contributions by artists such as Charlie Funk and Lael Summer, as well as True Groove's in-house stable of mixers and producers, including chief engineer James Dellatacoma (Herbie Hancock, Sting, Nine Inch Nails) and Mark Henry (Lil’ Kim, Nicki Minaj, Paramore). Funky World will be available on iTunes, and more information on the collaborative project is available on True Groove’s official website.
The mastermind behind the Funky World project is Doncker. He and his True Groove label have been featured in a wide range of prominent media, including CNN, Guitar World, The Source, and Huffington Post. According to Huffington Post, Doncker is a “soulful music man” who has been part of the national and international music scene for some time, traveling to places like China, Japan, and Ethiopia while promoting his “global soul” message. He has worked with some of the most prominent musicians of the past few decades, including Madonna, Bonnie Raitt, James Chance, and Bootsy Collins.
The Funky World compilation features star-studded remix collaborations from some of the most successful creative forces on the True Groove roster, including Grammy-winning producer and bassist Bill Laswell (Bob Marley, Miles Davis, Mick Jagger) and revolutionary dub artist Doctor Israel (Lee “Scratch” Perry, Rancid, Sublime). Other featured artists include drum and bass pioneer Kurt Submerged (Ohm Resistance Label), R&B and pop producer Dennis Mitchell (Gordon Chambers), renegade garage groove producer Touchy Feely, and dub/funk scientist Ras Jah-Ames.
According to Doncker, the Funky World compilation was a natural product of the label’s proficient creativity: "We're always busy, always writing, always producing. Always.” After receiving several requests from some very talented producers who were interested in doing remixes for some of the True Groove artists, Doncker had a revelation: “I immediately thought of the members of the True Groove global soul family. Each of them is a vibrant and powerful artist in their own right, and so Funky World was born right then and there.” Funky World: A True Groove Club/Dub/Dance Compilation will be released on the True Groove label on September 9, 2014.
The track listing for Funky World: A True Groove Club/Dub/Dance Compilation is:
1. “Kong” (performed by The Highbridge Lowballers, written by Tomás Doncker/Alfred Preisser/Randy Weiner, and mixed by James Dellatacoma)
2. "Funky World” (performed by The True Groove All-Stars, featuring Mamadou Diaite, written by Mase/Doncker, and mixed by James Dellatacoma)
3. "AnnaRexia” (performed by Marla Mase featuring Garrison Hawk, written by Mase/Doncker, and mixed by Bill Laswell)
4. "I Need A Man” (performed by Lael Summer, written by Summer/Doncker, and remixed by Touchy Feely)
5. “Habesha Girl” (performed by Tomás Doncker Band featuring Juggla, written by Doncker/Jenkins, and remixed by Hanks Hothouse)
6. "Sexy Cutie” (performed by Charlie Funk, written by Maynard/Doncker, and mixed by James Dellatacoma)
7. "Succulence” (performed by Samuel Claiborne, written by Claiborne/Doncker, and remixed by Kurt Submerged)
8. "Half-Life” (performed by Marla Mase, written by Mase/Doncker, and remixed by Dennis Mitchell)
9. "Why Me, Black Brother, Why?” (performed by Tomás Doncker Band featuring Josh David, written by Ferguson, Lloyd Anthony/Hookim, Joseph/Shaw, and Donald, and mixed by Bill Laswell)
10. “Gal Formula” (performed by Tajji, Tajji/Doncker/Dellatacoma, and remixed by Doctor Israel)
11. "Bato Bese” (performed by Manu Koch and Filtron M, featuring Kaïssa Doumbè Moulongo, written by Moulongo/Koch, and remixed by Ras Jah-Ames)
12. "Change of Heart” (performed by Kevin Jenkins, written by Jenkins/Doncker, and remixed by Touchy Feely)
13. “Half-Life” (performed by Marla Mase, written by Mase/Doncker, and remixed by Hanks Hothouse)
All original recordings produced by Tomás Doncker and James Dellatacoma for True Groove Records (except “Bato Bese,” produced by Manu Koch)
For more information on the True Groove label and its releases, visit its social media: OFFICIAL SITE | FACEBOOK
For press inquiries regarding Funky World: A True Groove Club/Dub/Dance Compilation, please contact James Moore at James@IndependentMusicPromotions.com